Who We are
Red River Animal Emergency Hospital and Referral Center was established 17 years ago as North Dakotas first dedicated Emergency Hospital. Over the years RRAEH’s passion to serve its veterinary community has led to non-stop growth of both our facility and staff. Although, we have had non-stop growth, we stay true to our core values, of everyone is valued, heard, and family comes first. RRAEH strives to provide the highest level of medicine for our veterinary community, while creating a pleasant and fulfilling work environment for our team. Our hospital was founded by local veterinarians and remains that way, with many of our owners working side by side with you in our hospital. We are currently a team of 95 plus employees, with our ER department having two boarded Critical Care specialists, eleven highly skilled ER Veterinarians, 28 amazing technicians, and a dedicated support staff. In the last year we expanded to open our Referral Center that has created space for additional specialties, which includes Surgery and Oncology to better serve our veterinary community. We are proud of our hospital, our staff, and our community and we are excited about the opportunity of having you work with us!
The Veterinary Oncology Technician
The Oncology technician at RRAEH will work closely with our Boarded Oncology Specialist in developing our Oncology Service. In this role, you are typically with patients for the duration of their treatments. Ideally, the candidate will possess strong IV catheter placement and phlebotomy skills; accurate drug dispensing; ability to obtain excellent radiographs; excellent interpersonal and communications skills; ability and desire to build strong rapport and lasting relationships with clients and their pet’s; and desire for continued growth as a technician through CE and training. RRAEH’s Oncology technician should have a strong interest in learning about Oncology and using this knowledge to instruct and educate clients. Rather than the hustle and bustle of an ER, Oncology thrives on maintaining a calm, restorative environment for the patients receiving treatment.
As a Veterinary Oncology Technician at RRAEH, you will:
- Intake and discharge of patients for consults and chemotherapy appointments
- Obtain patient body weight and TPR
- Assist clinician with physical exams
- Assist referral coordinator with scheduling recheck visits, triaging new appointments, and ensuring rDVM medical records are available prior to appointments
- Make Reminder calls and chemotherapy call-backs
- Screen rDVM lab work for clinician review and prioritize urgent cases (i.e chemotherapy bloodwork revealing neutropenia requiring antibiotics)
- Handle and prepare chemotherapeutic medications (training will be provided)
- Calculate and administer chemotherapeutic medications via IV, SQ, and PO routs (training will be provided)
- Work with Inventory Manager and Oncology team to maintain inventory for the service, including chemotherapy PPE
- Technical skills include IV catheter and central line placement, sample collection (phlebotomy)
- Proficiency in radiography and anesthesia is preferred, but can be trained
- Perform in-house laboratory testing (Full IDEXX Lab)
- Collect, store and ship laboratory samples for reference lab testing
- Knowledge of CT imaging (we have a 16 slice CT), but can be trained
- Communicate and instruct clients regarding treatments given and drugs dispensed at discharge of patient, either in person or over the phone, while providing professionalism, compassion, and empathy in all circumstances
Advanced Technical Skills:
- Digital radiography
- Ultrasound imaging
- IDEXX laboratory equipment
- Anesthetic ventilation
Benefits and Salary:
We want you to grow with us, let us know your goals and we will help you to reach them!
Salary: Starting wage up to $22 an hour (more with Oncology and/or technician experience)
Schedule: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays weekly. No Holidays and No Weekends! (Opportunity to train and pick up ER shifts, but the Oncology Service will be main priority)
Full-Time benefit options include (*most benefits begin day 1 of employment!)::
- Health Care Benefits – Medical is partially paid for by RRAEH (Blue Cross Blue Shield Platinum), dental & vision options available
- 401k Retirement Plan with match
- Pet Care Discounts/Pet Food Discounts
- Scrub Allowance
- CE Allowance and frequent in house CE opportunities
- Employee Assistance Program
- Shift Differential of $5 an hour (between 8pm and 6am)
- Reimbursement of licenses and specialty dues
- Experience working in a veterinary practice preferred but not required if certified or licensed in veterinary technology
- Graduate from AVMA-accredited Veterinary Technology program is required, equivalent work experience in oncology veterinary medicine may be considered if tech is not certified or licensed.
The Fargo-Moorhead area is abundant with culture and opportunities for you or your family to enjoy life outside of work. Being on the North Dakota/Minnesota line you get the best of three cities and two states! North Dakota and Minnesota offer plenty of outdoor adventure opportunities from hiking, biking, fishing, skiing, and more. The Fargo-Moorhead area has excellent school systems including several Universities. Between the Lakes, endless concerts and shows, year round sporting events, Downtown eateries, breweries, and festivals, there is something for everyone! Come join our amazing team and wonderful city. Also check out https://www.fargomoorhead.org/
Interested in learning more? Have questions or just want to know what life in Fargo or our hospital are like. Visit our website at rraeh.com or email [email protected] and let me tell you about everything our hospital and area can offer you. Serious and casual inquiries are welcome!
RRAEH is committed to a diverse work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, creed, sex, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, sexual or affectional preference, or gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.